I found out I was sick and I was a mess that day! I had lost my sense of smell the night before (Sunday, the 21st of February) and I had an internal mini panic attack because I just knew I would test positive for COVID-19.
That next day, a rapid test confirmed my fear to be true. I cried the entire day, and fell into a quick spiral of fear and sadness, triggered by the memories of my own experiences with losing a loved one to the virus. But I thank God for my beautiful family and tribe for nursing me back to health during one of my most vulnerable moments. My parents cooked and brought soups and essentials to help strengthen me. My sisters showered me with teas, natural remedies, and supplements that literally built up my nervous and immune systems. And my brothers kept me hydrated and snacked up so I would be strong. I didn’t expect the outpour of love and covering that I received, but I am humbled and grateful forever. I don’t believe I would have recovered as quickly or as well as I did without my people. It was all of their support that brought me back to health so quickly.
I’m on day 8 of my quarantine and feel 90% back to myself. My personal experience with the virus was like a really bad sinus and body cold. I had such a terrible headache the Friday before I got tested, and was struggling to sleep the whole weekend. I was feeling stuffy and more fatigued, but I thought that it was just the snow. I always get sick when the weather flip-flops from hot to cold. If you’re from New York, you know we have 10000000 different seasons in one day! So catching a cold is not a rare sighting during this season. But one thing I did feel that was wiping me OUT was the loss of smell and nasal pain. It was like my nose was just dry and almost naked, with my nerve endings exposed. It was a desert. It felt so exposed, but also so useless at the same time. It was a painful paradox. I am grateful I didn’t lose my taste though! Because that would have been so depressing. But it was still so peculiar not being able to smell anything. I am still clearing out all the mucus in my chest and throat but it’s clearing up day-by-day. Two more days and I will get retested for work in-person clearance. I’ve definitely enjoyed the time at home, but I do miss being at work and look forward to being at the office again.
If this has taught me anything, it’s to stop playing with my health. A lot of people I know from different areas of the state tested positive around the same time that I did, so I knew that we were all affected by a wave. Regardless, it definitely scared me into taking care of myself. I am sad that it took for this for me to finally put my health first; nonetheless, MESSAGE RECEIVED and actions taken! Plus I now have first hand experience and antibodies! And I am grateful to be recovering fully, by the grace of God and support of my soul tribe.
What I Used to Heal & Build Up My Immune System:
My friends and family all had great suggestions for building up my immune system and health. I used some of the following methods that really helped and wanted to share with anyone afflicted looking for more holistic methods of healing. I do urge you to please do your research and make sure these remedies don’t interfere with any allergies or preexisting medical conditions, if you do want to try them.
– Sleep, sleep, sleep, sleep, sleep!
– Sea Moss (liquid or powder form)
– Elderberry (berries tea, vitamins, gummy vitamins, syrup)
– Breathe Easy, Throat Coat, Gypsy Cold Care Teas
– Respiratory steam: eucalyptus leaves, mint/eucalyptus oil, fresh sliced citrus fruits (orange, lime, lemon, grapefruit), menthol crystals, cinnamon sticks, and fresh lavender herbs and dried citrus peels. Put all ingredients in a pot in water and let brew until boiling, then turn off flame and remove pot from stove and then steam face at safe distance with towel over head for 15 minutes. (Courtesy of Imani Cohen, @thehoodhealer)
– Fresh soups and WHOLE foods (I cannot stress this enough: eat as healthy as possible! Give your body a chance to build itself up and choose foods that will help your body, and not harm it. Food is medicine! Don’t let medicine become your food. Prevention is always better than cure!)
– Ginger, lemon, honey tea
– Lime, 1 tbsp baking soda, water. Boil and then drink every 30 mins until finished with pot.
– Fresh ginger root, lemon, garlic, and onion. Place all chopped ingredients in pot and boil. Once boiling, turn off flame and drink just the tea every 30 mins until finished with pot.
I am praying for all people affected by this virus. Last year in April, my family experienced the devastating loss of my aunt Rosibel, due to COVID. I miss my aunt so much. 💔 The (1) one-year anniversary of her transition is coming up soon and it’s just not the same without her. 🤍 I’m so grateful for the time we had, and pray for her immediate family, that God allows them to feel her presence ALWAYS, as they are comforted by the Spirit. 🙏🏽🤍 I pray for all families that are reflecting on the scary and traumatizing times we faced (1) one year ago at the start of this pandemic. It’s so mind-boggling to me that it’s almost 1 year from when we shut down as a country and nation and faced a pandemic together. A year later, and we are still being affected. Stay safe, healthy, and mentally strong. Hold close to your loved ones, and remember to always put your health first!
I’m so grateful for surviving this experience, and even more grateful for recovery and healing. Happy March, my beautiful readers!
Love eternally, Daniposa.